Sunday, October 31, 2010
Journal Entry #7
How to Watch Your Brother die seemed to be a story about homosexuals are still misunderstood in today's society. It seemed that once the narrator realized his brother was gay he began to distance himself because he feared how others might look at him if he hung out with his gay brother. I have never understood why people treat gays differently or with with open contempt. Since it seems everyone is comparing the story to Glee I thought it would be wise to compare it to another example, I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry. In this movie open contempt and hostility was shown to gays almost constantly. I personally do not care what sexual orientation you one is interested in and it's appalling that there are those that would go out of their way to ruin someone's life for allegedly "corrupting society". Gay people really aren't that different. I'm usually unable to spot them until they tell me so they must be pretty normal. And there is a lot worse out on the streets than gays. Parents should be worried about drug dealers and thieves hurting their kids not gays. For instance a gay man gave me a dollar once for picking some trash off a hotel floor. True story. So to recap, Thieves and Drug dealers bad, Gays give money to good people.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I felt the same way in regards to what the real topic of the poem was. I also thought that you comparison to I know pronounce you chuck and larry was really good. I think that its really similar in the way that at first the movie seems like its a comedy and mockery of gays but it really is just a film trying to show how much gays are like heterosexuals and that they shouldn't be judged any different. I also like how you used an actual event that happened to you as a reference
ReplyDelete